Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Little Known “Cheesemonger” School of Poetry

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
of Edam.

-- William Carlos Williams aka “Dr. Cheese.”


If you can keep your head when all about you
Men are losing their Stilton and blaming it on you
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt your mozzarella…
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Dairy Man, my son!

-- Rudyard Kipling, known to his friends as “Sag Paneer.”

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden real English cheddars.

-- William Wordsworth, a towering wheel.

Let us go then you and I while the mascarpone is spread out across the sky.

-- T.S. Eliot. The T stands for Compte.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways Havarti both with and without caraway.

-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning frequently dressed as a milkmaid.

Because I could not stop for a raw goat’s-milk feta,
the Whole Foods cheesemonger kindly stopped for me and offered me a Tasting.

-- Emily Dickinson, a total curd nerd.

Where are the songs of Spring? Ay, where are they?
Think not of them, Maytag Blue, thou hast thy music too,—

-- John Keats whose doctors in Italy prescribed little medicinal bites of Gorgonzola.


O casein, My Captain!

-- Walt Whitman washed his entire body electric with whey.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
from the cheese plate I took a chevre
And that has made all the difference.

-- Robert Frost, nom de blog: "Apple Picker" and a very frequent contributor to New England Chowhound.

4 comments:

  1. Love them all, but, gotta say,Kipling's is my favorite.

    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh.. I am groaning and laughing at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frost and Whitman and Thoreau. Love them all. I discovered life when I discovered poetry. Somehow it covers all the areas of thought and emotion that simmer just below the surface of daily conversations.

    ReplyDelete