Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Collection

I'm not a collector, I lack the gene. If there is a group of anything in my house, it is an accident, and the group is usually of spatulas and boring.

I have an uncle who collects masks, another who collects books, my mother is a careful curator of amethyst jewelry, my father would like another piano or three, and my husband collects vintage Star Trek ornaments that is, he did, until I shamed him out of it. (I'm so sorry, honey, I didn't understand.)

Why four or five of the same thing, when the one suffices? Then I found a bowl at a flea market that spoke to me. It called out to me. It was 1930s yellow-ware with a thick lip and deep concavity, enough to raise three loaves of bread dough in. It transfixed me with its old fashioned femininity. All those bread-baking and biscuit-making women! My people!

I like what bowls mean. Plates don't embrace, but bowls do. They're open, giving, and yet also receptive. They make it look easy, but an excellent life's work would be trying to be like a bowl.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, there's nothing like fired ceramic. A plastic bowl is not welcoming.

    I will have dinner tonight in a bowl.

    Especially dessert. Ice cream. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bowls too--they're so versatile, and I seem to have many! Still, I've never gone out of my way to collect them (or anything) until recently...after several gifts of butter dishes (I now have five), and I now want more! My very favorite is a butter-yellow Fiestaware. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "An excellent life's work would be trying to be like a bowl"--I do believe I'm going to write that down in my Book of Wise Sayings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elizabeth,

    I love your writing...all of it. It is like licking the bowl clean and feeling satisfied.

    Oh, and I love bowls and what you said about them.

    Joys,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete