Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Universal Mother

I have been in contemplation recently of kindness, metta.

How can I be less a jerk-like crone, enraged at at every pothole, and porthole that I can't seem to fit through on account of my thighs, more Mother Mary-ish. Mind you, I don't believe.

But I like the idea of Universal Mother, as in a Hindu goddess with multiple arms. Not The Divine Multitaska, making dentist appointments for the kids while perfectly applying the right color foundation.

Can you imagine the embrace of a multi-armed goddess of mercy? I imagine it would be like my Patou's Joy-smelling grandmother plus my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Jenkins plus my college French professor who was quick as a whip.

If you've read Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle In Time you'll not be surprised that my favorite character in the book - and maybe in all of literature - is Aunt Beast.

Strange, yes. A kind, smart, furry, octopus-like creature that is blind. But isn't that the essence of what we want in our mothers?

No comments:

Post a Comment