Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Waiting Room Poetry



I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms; anyone with chronic illness does. They are ill-lit as a general rule, plant-less, postered with cheap posters of eagles and shit, and populated by mean nurses, as you would expect in Broadway musical.

I try to find tidbits into which I can sink my teeth. For example, one waiting room had a live plant. That was pretty fabulous. A peace lily. Another had interesting carpet. I think it was wool. That says something, wool carpet in a waiting room, instead of the usual flammable Astrotuf-ish polyester in geometric pattern of grey on duller grey.

The "Insult The Suffering Patient" cake was taken yesterday at physical therapy, an applied heating pad that I could have done at home for free. Next time, I will. Anyway, there was a stool in the treatment room (see above.) So bitchy. So obnoxious. So this stool is not for you. .. I put my wallet on it. Take that, medical establishment.

2 comments:

  1. That IS obnoxious. I let James "ride" those chairs around the exam room to pass the time. I suggest you do the same during your next visit. If you lie on your stomach, you can push off the wall with your feet and fly across the room. Quite fun, actually. Not that I would, ahem, know, ahem from experience.
    huge hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate! The only good thing about waiting rooms for me, is that sometimes I can get some writing done! As for the chair, I mean...really? So why is it in waiting room? Decoration? I mean it IS attractive and all (not) but hey, in case a nurse comes out and needs to...take a rest or something...

    ReplyDelete