Friday, September 28, 2012

Spirit Animals

If I have a spirit animal I think it's a small nervous rodent.

Yet years ago when I consulted psychics at the Tremont Tea Room in Boston, I was told my spirit animal is a hawk. Every card I chose, I turned it over and there was a hawk. I really was jonesing at the time for my spirit animal to be a dolphin, so I was bummed.

It's strange that my spirit animals are mortal enemies.  It's like that symbol Ouroboros, the snake eating it's own tail. Creation and destruction: hawk-like vision, and scrambling rodent-like fear. Ying and yang.

The cool thing is there is a chipmunk living in a hole under our patio, and a hawk that preens itself in the afternoons on our silver maple tree, so I get to see aspects of myself several times a day.


3 comments:

  1. I wonder... I would love to know this.

    Today, just returned from a headache clinic: all this practical advice that I never follow: rest/eat right/take time/relax: get away and enjoy yourself.

    And yet, I just keep doing doing doing.

    The answer is right there, and I keep walking away farther from it to find it.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya, honey! My first spirit animal was a hare and my second was a lioness. Talk about opposing ends of the spiritual scale! And then, even odder, is the modern Cassandra of Florence + the Machine, with both in one song:

    Here I am, a rabbit hearted girl
    Frozen in the headlights

    We raise it up, this offering
    We raise it up

    This is a gift, it comes with a price
    Who is the lamb and who is the knife?
    Midas is king and he holds me so tight
    And turns me to gold in the sunlight


    I wish that I could just be brave
    I must become a lion hearted girl
    Ready for a fight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.
    I've got some creative ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.
    Have a look at my webpage vakantiehuisje

    ReplyDelete