Monday, October 15, 2012

A Conversation With Oscar Wilde About My Clothes


Oscar Wilde:  "One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art." What are you wearing?

Me: Organic bamboo fiber yoga pants.

O.W. How laughable you moderns are with your constant need for comfortable stretchy waistbands! It's like you are infants. Listen, dear,  "a well-tied tie is the first serious step in life."

Me: I'm kind of going through a thing right now that makes that hard.

O.W. "A mask tells us more than a face."

Me: Well, I don't believe in it.

O.W. That, my dear, is deadly. One ought to have something sensational. "With an evening coat and a white tie, anybody, can gain reputation for being civilized."

Me: You think so?

O.W.: Yes. "A really well made button hole is the only link between Art and Nature."

Me: You think I should embrace artifice?

O.W.: Indeed it is the only thing that keeps us real. "If a man treats life artistically, his brain is in his heart."

1 comment:

  1. I love Oscar Wilde.

    I love this.

    I love the daydream of a conversation with Oscar Wilde about my current state of mess.

    WOnderful post, Elizabeth: delighted me in so many ways. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete