Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And The Oscar Goes To...


It's Oscar Wilde's birthday today. I might wear a boutonniere to swim class. I hope people will ask me why I'm wearing a top hat and tails, too, and am filled to frothy overflow with light, bright, bubbly, wicked conversation. It is because I like to spread the Gospel of Oscar. Large swaths of The Importance of Being Earnest are lodged in the portion of my brain that houses executive function. I will pull ropes and pulleys, absolutely engineer a reason to have to say, "Cucumber sandwiches."

I think about Oscar a lot, and the craft of living, stage crafting a life as he did, even on days when it's not his birthday, like last week I was at a PTA meeting and I was wondering what he might have to say about yoga pants. "There are terrible temptations that it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to."

The Importance of Being Earnest is subtitled, "a trivial play for serious people" and I think, with a rose in my teeth, couldn't that also be the subtitle of life.

1 comment:

  1. And why not the boutonniere [what I just asked myself]

    Off to the corner florist's.

    Thank you for helping me live large.

    ReplyDelete