Monday, October 22, 2012

Incident But Not Accomplishment




E.B. White said of his dog, Daisy, "Her life was full of incident but not of accomplishment." That's Zen if you ask me.

It's exactly what I'm working toward. To be less end-results-driven, and more dog-like. In the process, sniffing and nosing, and establishing the perimeters. More chasing the mailman, like my dog used to do. Every particle of her otherwise sweet soul hated the mailman. "Take it as it comes," my mother always says, of life.

I can feel the stump of my tail wanting to wag.

2 comments:

  1. I receive yourfabulous blog posts by email, and never see the site with that beautiful photo. As I think about your arthiritis, and I think about your amazing writing, I am struck by how perfect that photo is for the message you to send: laughing in the moonlight, effervescent and shining, yet not in control or in charge, not evening thinking we humans might really be in charge; and not always writing as a constant being, but one who is trying to find the way in the world with humor, sensitivity, and curiosity. And, of course, irony! I look forward to your posts like to none other in my watched universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less end-results driven. Something I aspire to as well.

    This post reminded me of Mark Doty's "Golden Retrievals."

    "Sniff the wind, then

    I’m off again . . .


    My work:
    to unsnare time’s warp (and woof!), retrieving,
    my haze-headed friend, you. This shining bark,

    a Zen master’s bronzy gong, calls you here,
    entirely, now: bow-wow, bow-wow, bow-wow."

    ReplyDelete