Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Chop Onion, Carry Water

"Chop wood, carry water" is a Zen saying. In other words, just do what you are doing, nothing more, nothing less. 

As Yoda would say, Simple it is not.  Chopping onions, I almost chopped off the tip of my left index finger. I had to wrap my hand in a tea towel and sit down, and reconsider my entire life while the tea towel bloomed red.

Chop onion. That simple directive, the one that is in every cookbook repeated about a thousand times is actually quite complicated. Nowhere does it say, "Be careful and don't chop your finger off, dumbass."

"I'm chopping an onion," is what I say now, when I'm chopping an onion. I have to really concentrate on this. I'm. Chopping. An. Onion.  Who is this "I"? What is the action called chopping? And what is an onion? What is this appendage called a finger?

You can go kind of deep, but it's not necessary; what is necessary is half a cup.



1 comment:

  1. I have a band aid on left index finger. Yes, I was chopping an onion. It looks so easy when the Barefoot Contessa does it.

    ReplyDelete