Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Abandon Hope

"You could even put 'Abandon Hope' on your refrigerator door instead of more conventional aspirations.
- Pema Chodron


Abandon hope? Wha'? Didn't Emily Dickinson, the recluse of Amherst, say: 
"Hope" is the thing with feathers -/ That perches in the soul -/ And sings the tune without the words -/And never stops - at all -

My bird ain't doing so well. My bird feels more like an albatross. I'm thinking of setting myself free from hope, as one might cut the lines of a foundering boat and just let 'er sink. I imagine watching it sink down, down, fathoms down, through the clear tropical water and come to rest on the sand in azure lagoon like a pirate ship heavy with the weight of Spanish silver.

I, then, kick with my flippers and burst up into the air! And take a deep breath of hopelessness, which, if Pema Chodron means what I think she means, is freedom from wanting things to be a certain way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment