Monday, February 25, 2013

Tubes

You may have mused upon this in 9th grade dissecting an earthworm as I did. Life. The universe. Everything. How you could have gotten your bangs higher. (This was the 80s). Wow, you might have said under your breath. Look outside at the trees. Now back to this. Glance at your flaming unicorn Trapper Keeper. Wow.

The myriad forms life takes! Look yonder at the cabinets of sea animals in formaldehyde.

But don't get too big for your britches. Whenever I have a delusion of grandeur, I balance myself karmically with Yiddish proverbs. This is one of my favorites. Remember, God made the earth worm before He made you.

As I prep for my colonoscopy, which involves (as you may know from experience) scouring your innards so a camera can take unimpeded photos your freshly washed most internal pink stockings, I think about how tube-like we all are. How akin ato the earth worm that eats dirt, literally transforms shit into usable material and aerates the soil with its burrowing. Who doesn't want to be like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment