Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Little Known School of Apologetic Marzipanstollen Poetry



I have eaten
the marzipanstollen
that was in
the cupboard

and which
you were probably
saving
for Christmas breakfast

Forgive me
it was delicious
so sweet
and so marzipan-y.  

- William Carlos Williams

******

Shall I compare thee to a marzipanstollen?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
but this time of year what I want is German fruitcake with 
an almond paste core.

Sorry. 

- Shakespeare

******

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
To crappy knock-off German fruitcake that happens to be on sale. 

Who's with me? 

- Alfred Lord Tennyson

******


"Hope" is the thing with feathers -- 
and also stollen: an enriched sweetbread with nuts
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words:
Get more get more get more. 

I didn't meant to write that. 

- Emily Dickinson

*****


And the angel said, Fear not: for behold,
I bring you currants, sultana raisins, and, like, a donkey's weight in candied orange peel,
which shall be for all people. 
For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Baker

Oops. I meant Savior

- God