Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What I Want For Christmas Is A Wine Skin



I can take it or leave it when it comes to slouchy ankle boots, I'm meh about diamonds though they say they are a girl's best friend, what I want for Christmas is a wine skin. Why? Because I want to imagine I am on an attic vase.

Because when you have a chronic illness as I do, what you want is not fashion or bling but that thing that is ineffable: merriment. The Great God Pan. Bacchus on a boat. Revelry. Guffaws and pranks. 

Audrey Hepburn said, “I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”

Day in day out I feel like the inside of a slouchy ankle boot, but with a wine skin I could sit under the Christmas tree gnome-like, singing, mimicking David Sedaris mimicking Billy Holiday and crowned in laurels.