Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Puppy Zen



You can make the sound of two hands clapping, but what is the sound of one hand going into the bag of kibble? Really good. That's what. 

Suzuki said, "When we are like the frog we are most ourselves." But I think that must be a typo. He meant dog

"Nothing holy," said Bodhidharma so it is such a big deal that I eat the neighbor dog's poo? You like chocolate soft serve. Do I judge?


"Zuikan was a Zen master who always used to address himself. "Zuikan?" he would call. And then he would answer, "Yes!" "Zuikan?" "Yes!" Of course he was living alone in his small zendo and of course he knew who he was, but sometimes he lost himself. And whenever he lost himself he would address himself, "Zuikan!" "Yes!"  Likewise, this is why I chase my tail. It seemed you needed an explanation. 

Really, I should be expected to come when you call me? When the emperor said to Bodhidharma, "Who are you standing in front of me," "I do not know," said Bodhidharma. So, there

Who is this "Sugar," Who is this "I?" And who the heck are "you" at the other end of the leash?

Basho's advice to poets was, "Learn about the pines from the pines, learn about the bamboo from the bamboo." His advice to dogs was unwritten but I bet it was, "learn from barfing in your crate that you will get a bath."

Linji said, "There is nothing I dislike."  All I can say to Linji is, Amen, brother.