Friday, October 3, 2014

Herbal




It's Purple Friday in Baltimore, but that's not why today's Herbal Feature is anise hyssop and its purple flowers; you all know I'd like to see football crawl under a rock and die. 

I chose anise hyssop because... actually, I think it chose me.

I was in the clearance plant section at Home Depot surveying the cheap unwanted red-headed stepchild perennials as I am wont to do; it is my Fall Ritual (along with creating bourbon-spiked pumpkin spice lattes), and there was this plant -- anise hyssop --  that unlike its dried-up brothers was alive, green-leafed, and covered in bees. It was buzzing. It was on my frequency.

I had to have it.

I had to shake loose the stumble-drunk bees to get it into the trunk of my car and still they followed the scent as I drove off.  It was like Hitchcock's The Birds only with no harm done, and featuring bees, and on PBS via the BBC -- a charming show, one called "English Cottage Garden" with a talking Badger or something, which, if there was such a program, I would watch it happily, tail-waggingly, eager to make such Beatrix Potter-ish stuff my antidote to the evening news.






No comments:

Post a Comment