Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Orange Is My Favorite Color


Orange is my favorite color. It's the color of the second chakra Svandhisthana if you're in to that sort of thing which I kind of am; I started taking yoga.

Orange is everything that I want to be and so frequently am not: warm, engaging, bright, voluptuous, generous.  The element of the second chakra is water. Its sign the moon. How poetic is that? I want my sign to be the moon, goddamnit.

My contrast I am tight blue. When asked what kind of stone I would like in a ring I would probably say baguette sapphire. Lapis. I wear denim every day. I caught a glimpse of myself in the yoga studio mirrored wall and dang if I wasn't wearing on my face the under-eye smudges of the sick and tired, those twilight shadows that can only be described as midnight blue. 

I'm also very veiny. Criss-crossed with blue rivers across my neck and chest. "Veins prominent" is how my physician clinically described it. Apparently, it's a thing.

Blue and orange go well together in flowers, in prints, in throw pillows elegantly tossed on the living room couch of photographs in designer shelter magazines. They occupy opposite ends of the color wheel.

So it's no wonder I like to gaze at things that are orange as if I'm parched for it. I drink it in, Tibetan monks' robes, sunflowers, the last leaves of the flaming maples.






No comments:

Post a Comment