Monday, January 5, 2015

It's All Stuff



For the new year, I've been reading Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and for the past few days I've been reflecting on just how totally not Japanese I am.

I want to be. I want to be shibui, not a shabby, bloated hoarder. I want my home to be a Shinto power spot as Kondo suggests it can be, if I just prune my shit. (I have a mini-blender. I shall say no more.)

Shibui is a word my father introduced me to when he took a six week course on Japanese language and culture in Hawaii when I was in junior high school that has no direct translation in English.

Shibui is "profound, honest, unassuming, and quiet feeling...the highest form of beauty."

I look in the drawer in my kitchen I call The Everything Drawer that is like a cabinet of curiosities like the Harvard Museum of Natural History, except with keys no one knows what they open, and lint, and chicken-trussing twine, and pennies, and broken things and I have my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment