Friday, April 24, 2015

Violets



It's the season of violets in your lawn. This makes some people uncomfortable and trowel-headed as they believe violets are weeds; they rhizomically spread just to clump and irritate the perfect green blades of grass of the perfect suburban lawn's wide green oppression.

I am not Team Perfect Lawn. I am Team Let The Violets Spread (theme song, Don't Mow Your Lawn, by Ray Anderson in his late '80s button-down at Jazzwoche Burghausen).

Violets are so pretty. You can candy them, as I have of late, for my mother on Mother's Day. How well they adorn a dainty lady cupcake! They have fierce little lion-dog faces!

Ava Chin wrote, "The first time I ate a violet blossom, it reminded me of the summer rain."

e.e. cummings wrote, "nobody,  not even the rain, has such small hands."


No comments:

Post a Comment