Wednesday, April 13, 2016

I Want To Be A Lighthouse Keeper And Live By The Side Of The Sea




Goody Bastos, though a killer name IMHO, is no mo'. I'm SO EXCITED. "Kill your darlings," is often the advice given to aspiring writers.

I'm no longer hiding my riot girrrl science nerd nature under the basket of memoir OR SOMETHING. I'm going where I've always wanted to go which is into the belly of the whale.  I want to write in service of something larger than myself. The ocean covers 75% of the earth, and totally qualifies.  

Did you know I drove a van full of invertebrates like clams in buckets to schools all over the I-93 corridor for the New England Aquarium? I instructed kids to to use their one touching finger. The one touching finger is something I came up withAnd don't squeeze the sea cucumber lest it blurp out its internal organs in defense. It can grow them back. 

Did I tell you I put together a dolphin skeleton working one summer at a camp at the Mystic Marinelife Aquarium and living in my boyfriend's Connecticut College dorm room?

If you want Goody Bastos stuff it's archived to the right, starting April 13, the year of the pearlfish in the anus of a sea cucumber 2016.  The queen is dead, long live the octopus.

1 comment:

  1. I am in. (Octopus curry has always been one of my favourites.)

    ReplyDelete