Thursday, May 12, 2016

Dressing As A Science Writer



Since making the switch from mom blogging to writing about marine science, I have spent an inordinate amount of time wondering what to wear. Is it silly? Perhaps. But immediately I went to Target and got myself octopus-print pajamas -- to send a message to anyone who sees me (after 9 pm or before coffee in the morning) that I am serious about cephalopods. 

Are clothes an expression of self? And if they are an expression of self,  I should wear this:


the octopus is it a ring? is it a bracelet? Whoopi Goldberg wore to the 2016 Oscars

I consulted New York Magazine's 12 tips to find your own chic easy uniform.

I said out loud to my past self,  "All these momjeans must go. I am a science writer now with a focus on marine environmental issues," and I threw them into a pile along with the zippy colorful-print suburban scoop-necks.

"I can quit you," I said to them. Their loud florals replied, "We know you'll be back." "I don't think so," I said, shoving a pink chevon-print of daisies into a bag.

What I wear now is different. It's my attitude that's changed, too. My new fashion is "flowy neutrals that are soft, and remind me of sand and wetlands," "accessories that are white as the white caps of waves in the wind," and "when I want to be fancy, I accessorize with pearls which come from oysters, which are mollusks, which have no backbone."

Nobody has noticed. But I know. I'm finally dressed as myself.  So what if it's a thousand nuanced nubbly shades of brown because so is the Earth's entire geological record.


No comments:

Post a Comment