Monday, May 2, 2016

Studying Marine Science In My 40s




I love a black smoker. I love Marianas Trench, and the phrase "iron-magnesium crusts," and "sub seafloor microbial biosphere." I don't know about you but I want to have a reason to say microbial biosphere all the time and not just in polite conversation.

So I'm studying marine science in my 40s.


This video was recorded yesterday, at depth. It's footage from Okeanos, NOAA's deep sea submersible. It's happening now. It's science and exploration you can follow live, as an armchair Shackleton. It's like going to Mars.

They are discovering crabs unknown to science. (Love that phrase.)

I took out of the library a chemistry text of the hydrothermal vents. One of the diagrams was similar to the above. I looked at the page. I looked at it again.

On the third time, feeling obtuse, I saw (like a Rorschach inkblot)  the face of my high school chemistry teacher, a man who had hair like a bear growing out of the back of his neck.  He didn't like me; I was always trying to get away with making my conclusion sections of his gas labs into poems. It's a reaction when you're unsure what you concluded.

I began to sniffle: I love the sea so much, but don't get it.  All those arrows!  WTF even is "evolved seawater"? 

My teardrops fell on the page.  LIKE LITTLE OCEANS is what I told myself.  LIKE SMALL WET EVIDENCES of the EPIC of a LIFE. (Ever the writer.)

I went back to looking at photos of dolphins. The way they jump out of the ocean, and me, I just can't quit it; I really like the word, "basalt." I am and always have been warm diffuse flow.





No comments:

Post a Comment